- AVSpare Products:
ReferenceRefer to Special Instruction, REHS5596, "Installation Procedure for Product Link PL421 Retrofit"
ReferenceRefer to Special Instruction, REHS7443, "Installation Procedure for Product Link PL421 Retrofit"
New Software is now available for all Cat® products with the Product Link 421 or Product Link 420 system. The new software contains the following improvements and enhancements for the 386-3004 Communication Electronic Control Module (PL421) or 377-9503 Communication Electronic Control Module (PL420) system:
Product Link ECM to be updated: 386-3004 Communication Electronic Control Module or 377-9503 Communication Electronic Control Module
Firmware 18.104.22.168 (most current version) contains the following enhancements and improvements:
- Optimization of CAN bus for Genset with High CAN bus loads in order to display details in Cat ET.
- Modified GPS position reporting to avoid straight-line error reporting in southern hemisphere.
- Added support for Fuel Consumption Monitoring System for assets with equipment to support this feature.
Firmware 22.214.171.124.2 addresses the following issue:
- The PL421 does not properly report Ready-to-Run or Not-Ready-to-Run status on certain generator sets.
- GPS Receiver Status in ET Status Parameters screen no longer says "Reserved".
Firmware 126.96.36.199.1 addresses the following issue:
- Another ECM on certain CT660 Vocational Trucks sends Dual-Null termination characters to the PL421 over the J1939 datalink, causing the PL421 to reset.
Firmware 188.8.131.52 also addresses the following enhancements:
- Main Disconnect bypass on certain generator sets to allow for reporting while the disconnect is open.
- Addition of new generator set parameters: Battery Voltage, Kilowatt-hours, Kilowatts, Aftertreatment Total Fuel Used, Kilovolt-Amps Reactive (kvar), Winding temperatures, Bearing temperatures.
Note: Only Battery Voltage and Kilowatt-hours are supported in VisionLink 2.8. VisionLink support of other parameters TBD.
Firmware 184.108.40.206 addresses the following issues:
- PL421 SMU jumps after the device experiences a power cut.
- PL421 rejecting future timestamp messages.
- PL421 Site Entry/Exit Alerts not working in southern hemisphere.
- PL421 not reporting engine start/stop messages.
- PL421 reverts to factory default settings after the device experiences a power cut.
Firmware 220.127.116.11 addresses the following issue:
- Support added for the DC R-Term Configuration Change message from VisionLink.
The PL421 and PL420 are updated Over-the-Air (OTA) only. There is no capability for updating the PL421 or PL420 Over-the-Wire (OTW) with Cat ET or WinFlash. Upon the request through a support case, firmware will be pushed OTA to the PL421 and PL420 Product Link system.
Refer to the following tips on how to ensure Over-the-Air firmware update success:
- Devices running firmware 18.104.22.168 or older must be in Full Power Mode (key switch ON) for at least 15 minutes in order to receive and process the update.
- Devices running firmware 22.214.171.124 or newer must have unswitched power (main disconnect closed) in order to receive and process the update.
- Devices must be in an area with adequate cellular coverage in order to receive and process the update.
If a device has run in Full Power Mode twice after the final firmware update was scheduled and fails to process the update, contact VisionLink Support to have the update rescheduled.
This firmware update will prevent the reoccurrence of the issues listed above, but will not automatically correct the symptoms of certain issues that have already occurred. For example:
- If a Product Link system has experienced the SMH jump issue, this firmware will prevent the issue from reoccurring, but the user may still need to send an SMH correction to the system from VisionLink.
- If a Product Link system has reverted to the factory default VOC configuration, this firmware will prevent the issue from reoccurring, but the user may still need to contact VisionLink Support to have the device configuration corrected.
- Product Link systems that need to be configured for DC R-Term will not be reconfigured automatically by the firmware update. The firmware update adds the support needed so the user can send a DC R-Term Configuration change from VisionLink to the system.