- Remove the engine oil line. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Line - Remove and Install".
- Remove the valve mechanism cover. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Valve Mechanism Cover - Remove and Install".
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Note: The removal procedure is similar for the two cylinder, the three cylinder and the four cylinder engines. The illustration shows the four cylinder engine.
- Loosen the nuts and the adjustment screws (3) on the rocker arms in order to release the tension from the rocker shaft assembly.
- Remove the nuts (2) and the setscrews (1) from the rocker shaft assembly (4).
- Remove the rocker shaft assembly (4) from cylinder head (7).
- Remove the pushrods (6) from the cylinder head. Mark the pushrods for installation. Inspect the pushrods for wear or for damage. If the pushrods are damaged, use new parts for replacement.
- Remove the caps (not shown) from the top of the valve stems (5). Mark the caps for installation. Inspect the caps for wear or for damage. If the caps are worn or damaged, use new parts for replacement.
- Remove the joint (9) from the base of the rocker shaft assembly (8). Inspect the joint. If the joint is worn or damaged, use a new part for replacement.