Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Note: The installation procedure is similar for the two cylinder, the three cylinder and the four cylinder engines. The illustrations show the four cylinder engine.
- Clean the mounting face of the fuel injection pump on the cylinder block. Clean the mating surface of the fuel injection pump.
Illustration 1 g00825132 Typical example
- Install the correct thickness and the correct number of shims (3) on the mounting face of the cylinder block. Refer to Specifications, "Fuel Injection Pump".
Illustration 2 g00825137 Typical example
- Position the fuel injection pump (1) close to the mounting face of the cylinder block, and connect the link (6) and the fuel rack control (5) with the clip (7).
- Put fuel injection pump (1) in position on the mounting face of the cylinder block.
- Install the setscrews (4) and the nuts (2) that fasten the fuel injection pump to the cylinder block.
For C0.5, C0.7, C1.1/3011C and C1.6 engines, tighten the setscrews (4) and the nuts (2) to a torque of
6 N·m (53 lb in).
For C1.5/3013C, C2.2/3024C and C2.2/3024CT engines, tighten the setscrews (4) and the nuts (2) to a torque of
15 N·m (11 lb ft).
- Install the fuel shutoff solenoid. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Shutoff Solenoid - Remove and Install".
- Install the fuel injection lines. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Lines - Remove and Install".