|Tool||Part Number||Part Description||Qty|
|A||9S-9082||Engine Turning Tool||1|
|B||9U-5023||Main Bearing Wrench||1|
|C||2P-5517||Main Bearing Tool||1|
|D||236-6688||Main Bearing Cap Tool||2|
|F||8T-5096||Dial Indicator Gp||1|
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- Install lower main bearing (4) in main bearing cap (2). Ensure that the main bearing is installed so that the bearing tab fits into the notch in the main bearing cap.
Note: The main bearing caps must be installed with the word "FRONT" and the part number toward the front of the engine. Each main bearing cap has a number on the bottom surface and each main bearing must be installed in the corresponding position in the cylinder block.
- Install the upper main bearing with the side without the tab into the side of the cylinder block with the tab. Use your hand and roll the upper main bearing into position. Use Tooling (A) and rotate the crankshaft. Rotate the crankshaft until the oil hole is positioned in front of the side of the upper main bearing with the tab.
Illustration 2 g01125209
- Install Tooling (C) and finish rolling the upper main bearing into position. Make sure that Tooling (C) does not slide under the upper main bearing. Ensure that the main bearing is installed so that the bearing tab fits into the notch in the cylinder block.
- Remove Tooling (C).
- The following step is for installing the thrust plates on each side of the center main bearing. Place clean engine oil on the thrust plates. Install the thrust plates on each side of the center main bearing. It may be necessary to move the crankshaft with a prybar in order to install a new thrust bearing. Use Tooling (F) to measure the end play of the crankshaft. The end play must not exceed
0.17 to 0.63 mm (0.007 to 0.025 inch). Illustration 3 g01125192
- Tighten the nuts on Tooling (D) in order to raise main bearing cap (2) to the cylinder block. The nuts must be tightened evenly in order for main bearing cap (2) to fit into the block.
- Coat the underside of the bolt heads and the threads of bolts (3) with clean engine oil. Install the inner bolts for the main bearing cap. Remove Tooling (D) and install the outer bolts for the main bearing cap.
Illustration 4 g01139473 Illustration 5 g01124192 Bolt tightening sequence for the main bearing caps
- Use Tooling (E) and Tooling (B) and tighten bolts (3) in sequence to a torque of
190 ± 14 N·m (140 ± 10 lb ft).
- Place an index mark on the bolts and the main bearing cap. Tighten the bolts for an additional 180 ± 5 degrees (1/2 turn).
- Rotate the crankshaft in order to ensure that the crankshaft turns freely.
Illustration 6 g01125228
- Install side covers (1) onto the cylinder block.
Note: Install the main bearings dry when clearance checks are preformed. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Bearing Clearance - Check". Apply clean engine oil on the main bearings for final assembly.
- Install the oil pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pump - Install".