Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- Drain the coolant from the cooling system into a suitable container for storage or disposal.
- Remove bolts (1) and the retainers.
- Remove bolts (6) . Remove pump inlet elbow (8) from tube (2) and water pump (5) .
- Remove bolts (7) .
- Remove bolts (4) . Remove water pump (5) from the housing.
Note: Do not handle the water pump by the shaft or allow the shaft to support the water pump. Improper handling of the shaft can allow the shaft to contact the ceramic seals in the water pump. This can damage the ceramic seals. Damage to the seals will cause leaks and failure of the water pump.
- Remove gasket (3) from the water pump. Remove the O-ring seal from the water pump.