Flash Programming - This is a method of programming or updating the flash file in an Electronic Control Module (ECM).
The AVSpare Electronic Technician (ET) can be utilized to program a new flash file into the ECM. The programming is accomplished by transferring the data from a PC to the ECM.
- Obtain the part number for the new flash file.
Note: If you do not have the flash file's part number, use the "Flash File Search" tool on the Service Technician Workbench (STW). Alternatively, use the "Flash Software Files" feature on SIS Web.
Note: You must have the engine serial number in order to search for the flash file's part number.
- Connect Cat ET to the service tool connector.
- Restore the electrical power to the ECM. Do not start the engine.
- Select "WinFlash" from the "Utilities" menu on Cat ET.
Note: If "WinFlash" will not communicate with the ECM, refer to troubleshooting without a diagnostic code Troubleshooting, "Electronic Service Tool Will Not Communicate with ECM".
- Program the flash file into the ECM.
- Select the engine ECM under the "Detected ECMs".
- Press the "Browse" button in order to select the part number of the flash file that will be programmed into the ECM.
- When the correct flash file is selected, press the "Open" button.
- Verify that the "File Values" match the application. If the "File Values" do not match the application, search for the correct flash file.
- When the correct flash file is selected, press the "Begin Flash" button.
- Cat ET will indicate when flash programming has been successfully completed.
- Start the engine and check for proper operation.
- Access the "Configuration" screen under the "Service" menu in order to determine the parameters that require programming. Look under the "Tattletale" column. All of the parameters should have a tattletale of 1 or more. If a parameter has a tattletale of 0, program that parameter.
If you receive any error messages during flash programming, click on the "Cancel" button in order to stop the process. Access the information about the "ECM Summary" under the "Information" menu. Make sure that you are programming the correct flash file for your engine.