Hot oil and hot components can cause personal injury. Do not allow hot oil or hot components to contact the skin.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- Remove drain plug (1) from the bottom rear of the transmission. Allow the oil to drain into a suitable container.
- After the oil has drained from the transmission case, clean the drain plug and install the drain plug. Torque the drain plug to
35 ± 10 N·m (26 ± 7 lb ft). Illustration 2 g03448557
- Remove the three bolts for the access plate (2).
Illustration 3 g01237612 (3) Suction screen
(4) Magnetic filter
- Remove suction screen (3). Remove magnetic filter (4).
Note: Additional oil may drain from the oil pan when the cover is removed. Ensure that a suitable container is in place in order to capture any oil that may drain from the torque converter housing.
- Inspect suction screen (3) and magnetic filter (4) for large particles of debris. An excessive amount of debris may be an indication of possible failure. Discolored oil or oil with an odor requires a careful analysis of S·O·S results. If large particles are found, consult your AVSpare dealer for further analysis and additional guidance.
Do not drop or rap the magnets against any hard objects. The magnets are brittle. Replace broken magnets or damaged screens.
- Wash the suction screen and the magnetic filter in clean, nonflammable solvent. Clean the magnets with a cloth or a stiff bristle brush.
- Install the magnetic filter, the screen, and the access plate. Tighten the access plate to
28 ± 7 N·m (21 ± 5 lb ft). Illustration 4 g03448583 (5) Filler tube
- Fill the transmission to the full mark on the dipstick at filler tube (5) with the recommended oil and volumes. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Capacities (Refill)" for the appropriate oil volumes.
- The vehicle must be on level ground and the transmission must be in neutral. Start the engine and operate at LOW IDLE. Check the oil filter and the suction screen for leaks.
- Observe the oil level when the oil is warm and the transmission is in the NEUTRAL position. Make sure that the parking brake is engaged.
- Stop the engine. If necessary, add oil.
|(1) Drain plug|