HID lamps operate at very high voltages. To avoid electrical shock and personal injury, disconnect power before servicing HID lamps.
HID bulbs become very hot during operation. Before servicing, remove power from lamp for at least five minutes to ensure lamp is cool.
Although HID bulb materials may change over time, HID bulbs produced at the time of the printing of this manual contain mercury. When disposing of this component, or any waste that contains mercury, please use caution and comply with any applicable laws.
- Prepare the machine for maintenance. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Prepare the Machine for Maintenance".
- Remove the electrical power from the high intensity discharge lamp (HID). The electrical power must be removed from the HID lamp for at least 5 minutes, to ensure that the bulb is cool.
- Disassemble the housing for the HID lamp to have access to the bulb.
Note: On some HID lamps, the bulb is a part of the lens assembly. The bulb is not removed separately from the lens assembly. Replace the entire lens assembly on these HID lamps.
- Remove the bulb from the HID lamp.
- Install the replacement bulb in the HID lamp.
If the bulb is a part of the lens assembly, install the replacement lens assembly in the HID lamp.
Note: To avoid failure to the bulb that is premature, avoid touching the bulb's surface with your bare hands. Clean any fingerprints from the bulb with alcohol prior to operation.
- Reassemble the housing for the HID lamp. Ensure that any printing on the lens is oriented correctly for the HID lamp's mounting position on the machine.
- Reattach the electrical power to the HID lamp.
- Check the HID lamp for proper operation.
Note: Consult your Cat dealer for additional information on HID lamps.