If air enters the fuel system, the air must be purged from the fuel system before the engine can be started. Air can enter the fuel system when the following events occur:
- The fuel tank is empty or the fuel tank has been partially drained.
- The low pressure fuel lines are disconnected.
- A leak exists in the low pressure fuel system.
- The fuel filter is replaced.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
There are two types of fuel filter that may be installed on these engines. The procedure to prime the fuel system will depend on the type of filter that is installed on the engine and the type of connector that is installed on the fuel injection pump. Both types of filter and connections are shown.
Use the following procedure in order to prime the fuel system:
Fuel filter with element|
(1) Fuel valve
(2) Vent screw
Fuel filter with canister|
(3) Vent screw
- Ensure that the fuel valve (1) for the fuel filter that has an element is in the ON position. The fuel valve for the fuel filter that has a canister may be located away from the engine. Refer to the OEM information for further details.
- Loosen the vent screw (2) or (3).
- Operate the hand primer. When fuel free from air flows from the vent screw tighten the vent screw.
Illustration 3 g01122126 Connector that is installed on 2 and 3 cylinder engines
(4) Connector bolt
(5) Fuel return hose for the injector
Illustration 4 g01122127 Connector that is installed on 4 cylinder engines
(6) Connector bolt
- Loosen the connector (4) or (6) at the fuel injection pump.
Note: For illustration 3, the fuel return hose (5) may need to be removed at the fuel injection pump.
- Operate the hand primer. When fuel free from air flows from the connector tighten the connector bolt.
- Try to start the engine.
Note: Do not operate the starting motor for more than 15 seconds. If the engine does not start after 15 seconds, stop and wait for 30 seconds before trying again.